"I am looking for Juan T. My name is Roger and I work with the American Red Cross. I'm calling to let Juan know that he's been deployed to Baton Rouge, Louisiana ..."
The Red Cross woke me up this morning at 9:48AM to let me know. In true Jay style, I managed to fight through the groggy fog of slumber into the waking world only in time to catch the last ring.
1 missed call -- my phone says.
Not recognizing the strange number on my phone's call log, I decided it could wait until after breakfast. Mechanically, I staggered over to the kitchen and cooked the usual: two eggs, some beef, and 2 cups of rice.
Who would call me so early?
Curiousity quickly got the best of me as I stopped mid-chew to dial into my voice mail. "You have 1 new message," it said.
Gotta be family. No one else I know is awake at this hour on a Saturday.
It turned out not be family, but Roger, the deep steady voice of the Red Cross. He sounded like he could rescue me. I listened to the message and it didn't really sink in.
Juan T. you've been deployed to Baton Rouge ...
It still hasn't sunk in.
2 comments:
Lovely blog, it is people like you who make life worth it all...
; )
good/ :-)
Post a Comment