My second day I learned the definition of "in-processing" .
in-processing (noun): a test of patience where only the truly virtuous are able to stand in line after line filling out paperwork and still be kind to others.
I was in line or waiting to stand in some form of a line from 8am to 4pm this second day. It truly was a test of patience, but thankfully, most were still in good spirits. Some folks though, may have ripped someone's head off if they had to wait in line much longer.
Lights on was at 6am. Got up, got dressed and waited with the other 138 folks to catch a shuttle. We headed off about 10 at a time in a shuttle to the HQ. Little did I know that the line to the shuttle was to be only the first line of the day.
Our shuttle driver was awesome. He ran a tour bus company in New Orleans and owned the shuttle that we were driving in. Volunteering his time and resources to help other people - great guy. He talked the whole 20 minutes to HQ: about the history of Lousiana, good pick up lines, even told us about his favorite chicken and shrimp gumbo recipe.
"Don't feed it to your enemies," he said. "They won't wanna leave your house if you do."
"Let the good times roll" he kept saying.
Once we got to HQ, it was surprisingly very organized. After all the news I had watched of the 'chaos' in Louisiana, I was expecting a madhouse. Thankfully it was not.
The building itself was an abandoned wal-mart so if you can imagine your local wal-mart, but completely empty, that's about the size of the red cross HQ. It was huge.
First step in it's clear that you have some paperwork to fill out before getting onto the field. So you got in your first line to let folks know you have arrived. From there you had to get in line to get your photo taken for an official hurricane katrina i.d. As always, my photo was abismal, but classic nonetheless. I'm always blinking in i.d. photos ...
After that I was in line to go to an Orientation training. For about 40 minutes I went through the essentials of what I needed to know to survive - wash your hands for at least 20 seconds, drink plenty of water, this is not you average red cross operation. About a million people were displaced because of katrina. Some of these folks left the state, but most moved into neighboring cities such as Baton Rouge. In fact, according to our trainer, the population of Baton Rouge which was at about 250,000 before the hurricane, nearly doubled in 48 hours!
After genral orientation, I waited in line for client casework orientation, which is what i'll be doing here. "What does that mean exactly?" You might say. Well, during this second orientation I discovered that basically meant helping folks apply for the appropriate relief funds from the Red Cross. So service centers would be set up where we would go and give families these disaster cards that look like your normal mastercard, but they have a predetermined amount on them - a certain amount per person in the family. Families could then use the card to purchase whatever they needed to sustain themselves.
Then I waited in line to get my "permanent" shelter since, it turns out, the shelter I stayed in the night before was only a temporary shelter for me. So I got in line for that and got my new shelter assignment inside the gym of a local baptist church. In fact, asking around, it sounded like almost everyone wass staying at a church of some kind.
At this point it was already 2:30pm and I was at my final line for the day - waiting for my assignment. This line atleast happened on paper ... You filled out your name, DSHR number (like your red cross social security number), and the date you'd be leaving. Then you waited to be assigned ... And waited and waited ...
At around 5pm, I was still unassigned and was told -- along with the other 200 or so client services volunteers -- to call it a night, and head back to the shelter and come back to HQ at 7:45am to await an assignment.
Needless to say I was a little bit frustrated since I was looking to get to work as soon as possible and as hard and as long as possible. But I remembered the advice I was given during my orientation, "Stay flexible."
So I called it a night and found some one headed to my shelter who was lucky enough to have a rental car and hopped a ride.
Lights out was at 10pm at the shelter and I went to bed promising myself that I'd get an assignment the next day any way, any how -- even if I had to clean the porto potties with a tooth brush :)
12 comments:
It is really awesome that you are helping out in such a tangible way! Keep up the good work and know that your efforts will ultimately be repaid to you.
P.S. What's the chicken recipe? ;)
Jay, I was just browsing and thought you were joining the Army--I was going to warn you the "hurry up and wait" gets worse. But who knows about this Red Cross operation. One wonders how many of the processors are new volunteers.
So, THANK YOU for your efforts from one who can't volunteer this time.
Hey there
this is really awesome of you.
Keep positive and stay flexiable
God Bless
Attitude is so much of what makes the world run smoothly or poorly.
Hey, check out www.scripturist.com to see pics of the Hurricanes and to see how you can help vicitims.
You are learning patience so you can help others deal with it. If you feel frustrated, imagine how the hurricane victims must feel. It's been about a month since Katrina and they're still trying to cope. God bless you for helping those in need.
At the end of the day, waiting in line is nothing compared to what these people have gone through. I think it is a testament to your upbringing that you are able to slog through the lines and keep your chin up. You will truly make a difference in the lives of those you touch. The same way the people who have touched you, are making that difference today.
I am a person looking to heal her soul and spirit, put some joy back in my days, and give me hope of each day. My friend Wanda introduced me to "Mail Art" and "Artist Trading Cards". I am so amazed at the art she receives everyday, I love art, not real good at it but would love a creative way to express myself. Therefore, I'd like to start a Mail Call by snail mail only with the Theme being "Fairies" If anyone would like to share their talent and expertise, I would be very thankful. My contact information is: Carrie, 610 Third Avenue, Williamsport, PA 17701. No returns, all art exhibited on my blog and images of exhibition will be e-mailed if you include your e-mail address. Will gladly send art in return if requested! Thanks!. Please forward this email on to anyone who you think may be interested in participating
...Carrie
My Email: crconfer@verizon.net
My Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/crconfer
My blog: http://crconfer.blogspot.com/
Thank you for helping repair the lives of so many people. I have family near Nickels University. Luckily the Hurricanes have missed them. However they are trying to help some of the not so lucky people. They have some truely unbelievable stories to tell. But I thank God some one is able to help.
I hope you got your assignment! Great attitude! I hope you can help many people! Good luck!
People like you come from a rare breed.
People like us can learn alot from your courage and generosity.
Will definately check back daily for updates!!
Oh how I wish others had your sense of cheer!! If there is one thing in this world that is needed, it is a cheerful attitude, regardless of the situation! I now officially dub you ~PollyAnna~
;-D And you can wear that name with pride, cuz' truly, if you look at any high-paying jobs, People skills are the number one reason to pay!! If you have good communication skills and a good attitude, you can LITERALLY do ANYthing you want!! Here's lookin at you kid! :-D
Post a Comment